Early Years Foundation Stage
Our Primary School like all other Early Years providers, delivers the Revised Early Years Foundation Stage, (EYFS).
By the end of the Foundation Stage, children will:
- have had an annual program of lessons to teach pupils how to keep themselves safe delivered by accredited KIDSAFE teachers
- explore and extend their learning in all areas
- had a positive start to school life
- found something incredible in the school grounds!
- developed basic skills in reading, writing and mathematics
- gain confidence in self-help skills
- understand what good behaviour for learning looks like
- formed new friendships within and outside their peer group
- have a Y5 buddy
- accessed lots of Wow moments with the natural world
- looked after a class pet
- performed in front of an audience
- learned how to use peer massage to manage relaxation
The themes and topics that learning is carried through echo those of KS1 due to the way our classes are arranged. Please click on the link to see the curriculum plan. Academic Year 2016/17 is following Cycle B
In Reception Class, Foundation Stage, we have introduced 100% decodable reading books to support children’s learning of phonics. They have a daily phonics lesson and will bring reading books, sound and word packs home. When children have completed andcan apply Phase 5, a broader reading scheme is used and an even greater emphasis is placed on comprehension skills. We use Phonics Bug (Pearson) and Floppy Phonics (Oxford Reading Tree) until the end of phase 5 then we use a vast array of schemes in colour coded bands. There is also access to Bug club on-line with the reading scheme books as e-books for home reading.
We use Actiphons phonic scheme which encourages physical activity within lessons. An action is associated with each phoneme (sound)